What you don’t know won’t hurt you, however knowing these fun facts about HVAC will most definitely NOT hurt you either. This is a collection of facts put together for some interesting reading for those of us in the industry and anyone with an interest in how to save money through energy efficiency.
1. Factors such as right sizing, system updating, and types of refrigerant used can significantly affect HVAC efficiency.
2. An electronic air cleaner is 40 times more efficient than a standard throwaway filter in removing unwanted particles from your home.
3. A variable speed heat pump can trim energy costs by as much as 40%.
4. You can increase the efficiency of your home by up to 30% by investing in proper insulation and sealing air leaks around windows and doors.
5. In big cities like Philadelphia, it is estimated that poorly fitted air conditioners cost buildings up to $30 million a year in extra fuel consumption!
6. An oversized HVAC system increases installation costs, wastes energy, and costs more in overall operating costs than a correctly sized system.
7. 75% of the electricity used to power home electronics is consumed while the products are turned off – so unplug and conserve!
8. The Romans were the first civilization to use any type of warm-air heating system.
9. The first air conditioner wasn’t for people’s comfort! The first modern air conditioner was invented by Willis Carrier in 1902 for a publishing company in Brooklyn. The machine kept temperature and humidity low so that paper didn’t expand and contract. Carrier never intended for his invention to be solely used for comfort!
10. The top 3 commercial energy uses in the US are: lighting, space heating, and space cooling.
If you have any energy saving or HVAC questions, contact the professionals at HVAC Philly for a consultation. We serve Philadelphia, Bucks and Montgomery County.
http://www.hvacphilly.com or call 215-725-6111