When will I know it’s time to replace my HVAC system? With the fall season nearing the end and winter’s arrival swiftly approaching here in the greater Philadelphia area, you may be wondering if it’s time to take a proactive approach to maintain the efficiency of your HVAC system. With that maintenance comes the question of whether or not the time has come to replace your system altogether.
Older HVAC systems start to lose their efficiency over time. If you find your energy bills increasing, or you just can’t seem to get warm despite constantly adjusting the thermostat setting, this could all be signs of an inefficient HVAC system. That in conjunction with frequent repairs indicates it is definitely time to start considering a replacement.
Prior to making a decision on a brand new HVAC system, HVAC Philly, Philadelphia’s top HVAC specialist for over 20 years, has put together the top 10 questions to ask before jumping in.
1. Will your HVAC specialist give a free, estimate with no obligation for both the installation and the HVAC system itself? The HVAC contractor you speak with should include all costs in the estimate that they provide. That includes; labor, parts, as well as warranty specifications and energy efficiency.
2. Would my best option be forced-air heating and cooling? There Although a lot of older models feature forced-air systems, there also quite a few newer models that are more efficient that include radiant heat as well as heat pumps. A good discussion with your HVAC specialist will help you determine what would best suit your home.
3. What system size do I need? Things to think about when getting a new system; is your current system size efficient enough for your home? Have you added more space to your home? Some homeowners make the mistake of just matching their current HVAC system size. It’s best to take a deeper look and adjust accordingly.
4. Will I need more than one heating and cooling zone? Your HVAC contractor will be able to assist you in selecting the appropriate equipment for a zoning system that will provide the best possible comfort and efficiency for your home.
5. Is it necessary to consider humidity with either a home dehumidifier or humidifier? Humidity can cause severe issues in your home if not properly addressed. Mold can quickly form, affecting air-quality in your home.
6. Will the HVAC system I am interested in qualify for a tax credit? Under the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018 which was signed in February 2018, a number of tax credits for residential energy efficiency that had expired at the end of 2016 were renewed. Tax credits for non-business energy property are now available retroactive to purchases made through December 31, 2017. Tax credits for all residential renewable energy products have been extended through December 31, 2021, and feature a gradual step down in the credit value.
7. Would I be able to find any special offers or rebates on my new system? A lot of folks are so focused on getting the job of replacing their HVAC system done, that they don’t consider looking for special offers or rebates. Be sure to add this to your checklist BEFORE making a decision. Energy Star Rebate Finder is a great source.
8. What type of efficiency can I expect from my new HVAC system be? Think about what the lifetime operating cost will be in addition to replacement cost when making your decision.
9. Are there quality air filters offered? The type of air filter you can use with your system is more important than you may think. Some, like HEPA filters, can improve indoor air quality and protect your family’s health.
10. Will your HVAC company have a service plan to help maintain your new HVAC system?
Replacing your HVAC System is a really large investment, however, it is also a good chance to increase your home’s comfort, air quality, and energy efficiency. Contact HVAC Philly at 215-725-6111 to set up an appointment with one of our HVAC technicians, and they can walk you through the different options for your new HVAC system.
For more FAQ about your HVAC system, be sure to follow HVAC Philly Blog, for helpful tips and information related to heating repair, heating maintenance and services provided to the greater Philadelphia, Bucks County, PA and Montgomery County, PA areas.
If you are in the greater Philadelphia, Montgomery County, or Bucks County, PA areas, HVAC Philly offers affordable, professional and expert HVAC services to commercial buildings and homes throughout the area. They have over 20 years experience and rated top ten HVAC companies in Philadelphia.
Heating Service areas: